history of art.

!!! Patrick to retire...

Recently there have been rumours that Patrick Wolf was to be retiring.
On the 27th April 2007, Pitchfork (www.http://www.pitchforkmedia.com) published the following interview with him about the alleged 'retirement'.


"Patrick Wolf is not quitting music. Despite his recent post on a fan message board saying, "My final concert will be this November... I am not sure whether there will be anymore public communications after that. In fact, I am pretty sure there will be none," it turns out Wolf just plans to take a little break from the cycle of touring and promoting records.Even Wolf's break looks to be busy, though. He already has two albums' worth of material written for his follow-up to The Magic Position, which doesn't even come out in the U.S. until May 1. His tour has expanded as well, with the addition of Amy Winehouse-free headlining dates in New York and L.A., and a promise of more West Coast gigs.We spoke to Wolf to get the full story on his non-retirement, and we also asked him about the shape of that next record (or two), how he wants to model his career after Gustav Mahler and Liberace, how he became friends with Kelly Osbourne, and why he feels a kinship with Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera.Pitchfork: Will this orchestral concert in November really be your last?Patrick Wolf: Um, yeah. I really want people to know that I never released a press release about this issue. I wasn't trying to get published by anybody. I was just writing a very close community of fans. Somebody took that and turned it into a big story, and it's gotten out of control. I just want people to know that, first of all, I never said I was quitting music, and second of all, I never did it in a public way.I wouldn't know what to do if I didn't have music in my life, and this is going to turn into some kind of horrendous Mariah Carey speech, but the music has led me through many adventures and disasters and good times and total lonely times and for me to say I was going to quit music is like saying I'm going to commit suicide. It's the most extreme thing that could happen in my life. That would make me miserable, so I would never say I was quitting music, because I would never know where to start.Pitchfork: So what did you mean by that message board post?PW: This year's been strange because The Magic Position is about a relationship that happened a year ago, a very serene and magical time, between me and an artist called Ingrid Z. And I'm having to come and be like a vessel for all these songs, but I'm an honest performer as well. I don't even like to use the word "performance." I don't want to be a traveling businessman or salesman for my work. I want to be a musician that sings and feels and makes people feel, and when something becomes too repetitive, then I feel like I'm not doing my job. The bad habit that I've had in the last six years since I released my first EP was to not even think that I'm a human being, that I need to sleep or to eat or to go to the toilet or have sex or anything. I just go, "Okay, I'm going on tour for the next year. Goodbye, everyone." And then I say, "Yeah, sure I'll do seven hours of interviews before a show." I do all this, and I enjoy it, but there's a certain time in every musician's life, you've got to realize-- I'm kind of like Britney Spears in a way. I've been doing it as a teenager, so I'm kind of trying to start thinking about being a human so I can start to make my work again."

No comments: